Sunday, June 10, 2007

In Between Faires

Well dear friends, Scarborough has come to an end and we, the community of the Rennies of Scarborough are blown about the country like a dandelion puffed upon by a small child...

What an interesting and fun run Scarborough ended up being. From snow falling for the opening and the rains of closing weekend we who live and play out doors have come to know that something (global warming?) is happening. I seriously hope it is natural or we can actually do something about it. I missed some good friends closing weekend who either left early or didn't show up due to the rains (or health problems) - you know who you are - and we'll (hopefully) be seeing you next year. I always say "hopefully" because we never know what the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune will bring...and remember, YOU are in control of much of this - your kind words said to the right ears always help out all of your favourite performers.

I'd like to take a moment to thank those of you who show an interest in RESCU. You all must know that just by attending these Renaissance Festivals/Faires you are helping to support some cool crafters and "niche" entertainers, and are helping keep a unique community cohesive and vital. I mentioned RESCU (www.rescufoundation.org) in my last blog and Nancy - a "fan" brought me a check and asked me to deliver it to the right people, which I did. If any of you want to find out more about RESCU or donate, just surf on over to their site. I support it because it supports my "family", my community.

And, speaking of community, I again must say that Scarborough's community is so lovely and supportive of new creative projects. It was great to see the upswelling of support for Cast in Bronze's new musical "The Bells". After our staged reading Frank and I put in some rewrite time. I believe he is going to create a new cd of "The Bells" this summer. I am honored to have worked with him on this, and I wish him the best!

I did promise to quote the "Walmart" song for some employees...I can't understand that it would get you into anything but trouble at work but here goes:

(Sung to "It's a Small World After All") It's a Walmart after all, it's a Walmart afer all, It's a Walmart after all, it's a Wal, Wal Mart. It's a world of discounts a world of aisles, rolled back prices that are marked by those smiles! You can afford almost everything! (spoken) "That's because it's all made in Beijing!" It's a Wal, Wal Mart..."

More verses will be slowly upcoming. If Walmart makes this into a theme song, I want a cut!

I am currently sitting here At Glen Ethel, home to my dear friends Hey! Nunnie Nunnie! It is lovely, cool, springlike and very very relaxed. Some of the Scarborough group has gone to Denver (Cast in Bronze, etc), the "new" Kentucky show (Dr Kaboom, Owain Phyfe, etc) and elsewhere. We, however, have a bit of time before we shall perform, or direct again. Oh, projects are still continuing - we are still moving forward on our new "Docu-comedies" for Don Juan and Miguel, and Hey! Nunnie Nunnie! (Look for them this July) Sarah's new cds are still being worked on. But for now we get to take a couple of deep breaths and relax. I think I'll go crazy, though, if I don't have a project soon - which I know I will. (Rehearsals for Sterling start June 21st). I'll just force myself to enjoy the beauty of Upstate New York in Spring. Wasn't it Elizabeth Barrett Browning who said "What is so rare as a day in June, for then if ever come perfect days?" I'm not sure, but I am certain of the sentiment.

Well, that's all for now.

As Bodge has said, "Live well, do good" and I will add "Twinkle Dammit!"

8 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey handsome! I knew you had to be in the vacinity of New York soon. I was just going to dash you off an email to say "Hi" and lo and behold you updated your blog!
I got an article published in EQUUS magazine this month! June 2007. Phew, it was a year wait between it being accepted and being printed...I can't wait to see the documentary you're working on. I sat through the ENTIRE Lord of the Rings commentaries because I'm a freak for "behind the scenes stuff."

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Miguel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are you doing on this fine and glorious day? I am doing great. I hope you are having a great week so far. I miss you already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are never going to believe this but Scarborough Faire opens on my brother's birthday next year.

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger nanlynnd said...

Good to hear from you.
Thanks for delivering the check. Hope everyone reading this would consider a donation to RESCU. It is only right to help those who do so much for us. What a great "family" you have.
Scarborough only gets better every year. Looking forward to my 14th year there. Miss you ALL!!!
Wishing you well in New York.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Hello,

I have never left a comment before, I hope this one finds ya'll well!!(can you tell I'm Texan??) I hope the NY weather is cooler and dryer than the blistering and humid heat here in Dallas. Oh, and thank you very much for the "lyrics" to Walmart Song, now its stuck in my head, although, now I'm excited to hear more lines!! Please be sure and let us know when the new DVD comes out, I can't wait! Travel safe and have great fun!!

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't it "twinkie damnit" - jt

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU MIGUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We here miss you! Hope to see you next year (if you guys aren't there I 'll cry and shake my fist at someone...)

My friends and I were singing the Wal-mart song while waiting in line at the Wal-Mart...we got looks and we broke into a fit of giggles. So, a full month later and you're still making us laugh. You mean a lot to all of us!

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Miguel!

This is Stephanie Ellison, the deaf drummer who came to see you every year in the 90's at Scarborough! I just had to respond - Cast in Bronze?!? I wrote this after I saw last years' performance at the Texas Ren Festival.

--------------------------
... I am the deaf woman who couldn't understand you behind your mask after the second-to-last performance this past Saturday. I have to say it was a brilliantly performed art of expression of your spirit. I hope this doesn't sadden you, but I had wondered whether to come back to your stage one more time before going home. I decided not to because I was afraid that watching you a second time so soon would take away that magic of watching and listening for the first time. It was truly magical. I want that hindsight reflection to take hold, develop over the next few weeks, and be with me for life. It's not every day that I would have such powerful, emotion- and awe-evoking experiences as your performance.
...
From one musician to another, thank you, and may you always inspire people with your creations!
------------------------

People, you have to go see this man play his Carillon. Nothing like it out there!

Stephanie
www.deafdrummer.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home