Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Two Weekends of Sterling

Greetings all.

I hope this "blog" finds you all well and delightful.

I've been truly enjoying the Sterling Renaissance Festival. We've been here for 20 (twenty!) years now and it is very much like coming home. The crowds for the first weekend were good. I think the festival on the first Sunday ended with one of the best Final Pub Sings in a very long time; from the very beginning witht the "Beggars" leading the opening song, to Hey Nunnie Nunnie's rendition of "Chastity Bell", to everyone joining in on verses for "Drunken Sailor" (from the fans verses that were, thankfully, not salacious), to the delight of the Sheriff's leading of a song and being kissed by his many "illegitimate children" (I think around 25 fans and performers gave him a kiss on the cheek), to everyone, perfomers and audience alike joining in on "Auld Lang Syne" - twas a true delight. You know, I do love this event at Sterling. It is unlike any other in the country. (that I know of) In this Pub Sing the line between the "actors" and "audience" really blurs; it feels more like sharing "Christmas" carols to me, than pub songs. More raucuous in a way, but the same sense of memory and sharing. Sorta an homage to the time we spend together and and homage to Summer herself. It's cool.

I wanted to take a moment to address some concerns some fans have been having about Sterling, and perhaps answer a few queries. No, the festival has not yet been sold. (as of this posting) and yes, there are potential buyers looking at it. Last year was a great blow, financially, to the festival; what with all the rain and rising gas prices, etc, we just didn't get the numbers we needed. We hope to make it up this year. Literally EVERYONE involved with the Festival is pitching in (taking a cut in pay, etc.) to help insure that Sterling will remain a strong and viable festival. It is, in many ways, the gem of Renaissance Festivals. The atmosphere, the food, the high quality of NON-IMPORTED crafts, and the stellar performance program still make this festival one of the best in the nation. (And a hell of a lot of fun!) We (I) invite you to help be a true Patron of The Arts and come out and support us. If you've not been in years, come back home to us, if you've never been - this is an experience you should have. This coming weekend's theme is Romance, should be fun! PLEASE COME.

Hey Nunnie Nunnie's "docu-comedy" "Pull My Finger" will finally be out this weekend. It's a blast. Go to the Wildwood Stage at the festival and see them and get a DVD of your own. This new DVD is a delight!

The Don Juan and Miguel® documentary - "An Inside Look" - is in the works. Last night Don Juan (Jose) and I went to Dr. Jule's and worked on editing the (revealing) interview section. I think it is fun, funny, and informative. We show glimpses of our upcoming film and, plus, there will be a VIP Pass on the DVD allowing you access to backstage and some of our performance "secrets". I think you'll all enjoy it. Should be available in about six weeks.

Other deadlines.....The Lost Princess gets distribution July 24th. Check out your local independent movie rental stores - this is really the "Director's Cut" - Duncan Pace (the director and editor) re-edited it and Jim Hancock has cleaned up the sound quite a bit. Please let us know what you think.

Our New Movie: "The Adventures of Don Juan and Miguel; I Sense Danger" is still in post. We hope to have a picture lock by the end of the month. This means Jim Hancock (www.jimusic.com) and I will be able to start working on the sound and foley, we can also begin to create the score and Louie Skaradek can create his wonderful digital magic in his CG world. Lot's of folk have been asking about the release date. We are not dragging our heels on this, we just want "Danger" to be better than anything we've done up to this point. Dr. Jules did some amazing cinematography, and Duncan has never directed better - even the script is superior (I think) to our earlier productions, so please be patient with us. We are looking at a mid-January release.

Lastly. I love the summers up here in Oswego. The weather, the rich green of the trees, the beautiful lake, the stunning sunsets and Oswego itself. Thank you.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Doug- I'm glad you addressed all the rumours flying around about Sterling! I've heard a lot of them. Believe me, I'd be up there if I could. I'm trying to persuade my Mom to go without me! "Save yourself, Mom! It's too late for me!"
Anyway, hello from my little corner of NY. Miss you guys!

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Doug,

How are you doing on this fine and glorious day? I'm doing great. I hope you are having a great week so far.

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,

I went to Bristol and decided it's very very pretty there. Dirk and Guido say hi. Chicago was amazing, I didn't get to do everything I wanted, but we DID go up in the Hancock and have a martini because "Miguel told me to"

Hope you and Jose are having a wonderful summer!

*HUGS*

-Shannon

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For years we is the upstate area keep hearing that Sterling is on the outs. I've had many friends and aquaintences work for the Faire over the years, including this year. So it mean a lot that you and others are working so hard to try and save it. It's a wonderful place, and holds so many amazing memories from my and so many other people's childhoods and lives. Hopefully, it will be around long enough to affect a few more wide eyed kids (and grownups.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you do and have done.

Kate Sherman
gordoncole37@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home